January 31st, 1989

January 31st, 1989

At home

Should probably give this a miss tonight, because I have to get up in six hours, but I’ll never again be on Day Two of British Airways Cabin Crew Training, so here goes…

We covered a lot in class today but the best part, by far, was boarding the TriStar, aka the Lockheed L-1011. Each step I took on the stairs, up towards the TriStar felt so exciting, and when I stepped onboard, I actually had butterflies. Lolly was in front of me, and when she turned around, she had a huge smile on her face.

For some in our group, today was their first time on a wide-bodied aircraft, and there were lots of “oohhs” and “ahhs.” Our group, and three trainers, were the only ones onboard and the first thing they asked us to do was take a seat. Carl quipped something funny about there not being enough seats for us, which made everyone laugh. I sat beside Kimberly (the girl from Manchester) and Sam, and they each commented on how huge the interior of the aircraft appeared. Kimberly said she can’t imagine facing the hundreds of passengers the TriStar holds, and Sam said maybe she should rethink her flying career!

Neither Lolly, Kimberly, Carl or Sam have any airline experience, and I think they’re fortunate to be starting out, not only with British Airways, but on a twin aisled aircraft. Daniel (from Manchester) just left Monarch airlines, and agreed with me that this will be very different to the Boeing 737 and 757’s we’re used to working on.

After our introduction to the aircraft, we got to look around for a couple of hours, locating some of the things the trainers had already discussed. The TriStar is equipped with an elevator that takes you down to the galley. According to Sandra (one of our trainers) that particular working position is very popular with the “more seasoned crew who no longer want to work directly with passengers!”

Personally, I hope I never have to work down there alone. That doesn’t appeal to me at all.

Took ages to get home as there was smoke reported at one of the tube stations, and we got diverted to Leicester Square. Needless to say, by the time I got home, I felt totally knackered.

Mum said Nana was anxious to hear how I was getting on, so we rang her.

“I’m glad the first couple of days went well for you. That’s usually the worst part.”

“They’re a nice bunch, Nana, I think it’s going to be great.”

“I’m excited for you hen. Will you working on Concorde?”

“Oh no,” I laughed. “You only get to fly on Concorde after you’ve been with the company for at least a hundred years.”

“Uff, you’re an awful lassie,” she said with a little giggle. “Well I’ll be down at Easter so I’ll see you then.”

I didn’t have the heart to say I might not be here. Who knows where I’ll be by then?

Missed Ben again, literally, as in he rang earlier. Ugh, I hate missing him, but I can’t get into all that right now, time for some shut-eye…



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s