May 19th, 1990
Very exciting day!
Went out early this morning with dad and while we were driving around, dad spotted a For Sale sign on a building he knows I’ve long admired. The agency advertising it was just around the corner so we popped in. The woman at the front desk was very intimidating looking and said I wouldn’t be able to get in to view it until Monday at the earliest, but fortunately at that moment, a young chap appeared and said if we came back in an hour, he’d walk us over.
I liked it the minute I stepped inside and saw the French doors leading from the living room out to a small patio, strewn with terra cotta pots that reminded me of the stairway at David’s place. Harvey (the estate agent) urged us to look beyond the vast array of toys practically covering every square inch of the floor in the living room, hallway and two bedrooms.
“What do you think?” Harvey asked.
“I quite like it,” I said, trying not to give too much away.
“Enough to make an offer?”
“I’m not sure, I have to think about it.”
“Don’t wait too long,” he said, sounding like an estate agent. “Something like this won’t last, especially on this street. I’ll be in the office all day if you decide to do something.”
The second Harvey was out of earshot, I asked dad what he thought.
“I like that it has that secure entrance to the building. And the parking is close so you wouldn’t have far to walk with your suitcase.”
“Hmmmm, that’s a good point. Do you think I should make an offer?”
“It’s a nice wee place but you’ve talked about getting a house.”
“I know but I can’t afford a house in this area so maybe I start with a flat and work my way up?”
Twenty minutes later, Harvey looked like the cat that got the cream when he looked up and saw us.
“I want to make an offer.”
“Good decision,” he said, practically rubbing his hands together. “But first, we need to talk about financing.”
“I’m already approved for a mortgage,” I stated.
Careful you don’t choke on that cream, Harvey, I thought, as a smirk took over his chubby face.
So, now we play the waiting game and see where it goes. Harvey cat said if the offer gets accepted, I could be moving in, in as little as four weeks!